Thursday, October 18, 2007

R E S P E C T

re·spect: to show regard or consideration for

What ever happened to respect? The more I look around, the less I see of it. Oh God, did I really just say that? I'm starting to sound like my Mammy. But really folks...when did our society become a place where it's apparently ok to purposely say hurtful things with the blatant intention of upsetting people? The more I think about this, the more I realize respect in general is just dead (and no, "dead" in this sense does not mean "cool").

When I was growing up my parents taught me respect. They taught me that it was ok to have my own opinions and defend my beliefs, but to also realize that other people's beliefs may be different from mine. And that it was ok to disagree, but to at least respect those beliefs. I have always tried to do just that. Growing up I was baptized and raised Lutheran. At a certain point in my life I realized that traditional religious beliefs were just not for me. I didn't, and still don't, really know what I believe in but I do feel that something greater is out there. Therefore I consider myself Agnostic and choose not to participate in any religious activities. I have never minded or disrespected other people's religious beliefs though. In fact not long ago I had a pastor knock on my door and invite me to join his congregation. I took the time to listen to his speech and thanked him before closing the door. He actually thanked me before he left and said most people just slam the door in his face. I don't agree with gay marriage. But my husband's Mother(s) is (are) gay, and have lived together for over 20 years. I lived with them for 3 1/2 years when Dathan and I first got married. Not one day that I've known them have I disrespected them for their choices, because they are choices they have made for themselves and just because I don't agree with them does not mean they're wrong.

Until today I can honestly say I don't think I've ever outright bashed anyone else's opinion. I am feeling guilty about it, but honestly I have had it up to here *holds hand above head about six inches* with people. Dathan put an idea in my head a long time ago about living in a cabin in the woods when it's just the two of us again. There was some argument at the time about how many acres of land we'd own. I figured between 5 - 10 would be plenty, but he wanted more like 100. Now I get it! If people are this disrespectful now, I can't imagine what this world will be like in another 25 years when we're ready for that cabin.

I'm not writing this to change anyone's mind about anything. But if everyone who reads this could show just a wee little bit of respect for someone today, maybe this world would be a better place.

No comments: