Friday, September 28, 2007

Why orange is my new favorite color

Sorry I havn't updated this in awhile but life has been crazy. Dathan left for Iraq on Monday night, with the Lump in tow, and we pretty much spent the whole weekend getting together the last minute things he needed and just spending quality time together as a family. He's only been gone a few days, but it's been an interesting few days to say the least.

My friends Samantha and Randy found a poor kitten wandering around outside their barracks the night Dathan left. What idiot would just leave a kitten there, with a kennel, food, and toys? I would've kept her but she did not like Gandalf (my senior fur baby) and well, I just didn't want those sharp little claws around Schmooley. There was an issue with a puppy following kids to Xavier's school that I won't even go into details about because I'll start crying again. Dathan's Mom was in the hospital as the result of a nasty stomach infection caused by prescription drug interactions. And Xavier, Schmooley and I are all sick with a wicked cold. That's the part that just makes it more interesting I guess :-)

So that's life as an Army wife, I know. Believe me I am not complaining because I would rather give up my husband here and there to live in a country where I can have all the freedoms I have, then to be together all the time and oppressed by some tyrant. And I'm glad there are men and women out there who serve because I could never do it. Sometimes I just need to let it out, and truthfully I find it funny that life is always pretty dull until it's time for him to go somewhere.

So on to why my new favorite color is orange :-) Well, last night Ms. Cadence decided 11pm was a good time to wake up, after she'd been sleeping a few short hours. She stayed awake until almost 4am this morning. I got to a point where I almost couldn't take it anymore. I hadn't heard from Dathan since he left, and truthfully I wasn't expecting to hear from him until after this weekend, but I thought if I could just hear his voice for a few minutes and know that he was safe I would feel so much better. And so I prayed, which is not something I ever do being Agnostic, but I did. I didn't pray to God, but I did pray. And my prayer was answered. Sitting there in my dark living room, with Kleenex stuffed up my nose and a cranky stuffy Schmooley on my lap, I saw the orange light on the phone light up, and I knew without even looking at the caller ID that it was him. And it was. Who else would call me at 2am? We only got a few minutes to talk, but I got what I needed. And that's why orange is my few favorite color.

No comments: