Thursday, November 8, 2007

Warning!

With the holidays fast approaching I'm constantly thinking about toys for the kids, my niece, and my nephew. All the recent toy recalls have me completely freaked out! I asked my Mom the other day how many of my toys were recalled when I was a child. She can't recall a single one. In the last few months I've had to return, replace, or throw away six items between both Schmooley and Xavier, and I know I'm not alone. Therefore this year I am going all handmade, or made in the USA.

The latest recall I've read about has to be the most shocking one I've heard so far. It was reported on The Mommy Designer Blog (go check it out if you havn't already...it's FABULOUS!) that Spin Master's Aqua-Dots have been recalled. They may possibly contain a date-rape drug. A date-rape drug! Can you believe that?! The coating on the beads that causes the beads to stick to eachother when water is added contains a chemical that may turn toxic when many are ingested. If your child swallows the beads they may become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures. And, of course, they were made in China. No suprise there. If you have any of these beads you can read the CPSC report HERE, or by visiting Spin Master's website HERE.

Scary stuff! On a positive note, I am having fun finding toys I think my little Schmoolies will be delighted with this year. I thought I'd share a few of my recent finds with you...
First up is Chester the Sock Dog by Doodlebugfinery on Etsy. He's about 15", and looks as if he's fully housebroken. That's my kind of dog! Xavier has been asking for another puppy so this is definitely on my list for him. She's also got some great onesies and tees listed in her shop.

Next is a Kawaii owl hat crocheted in any size you'd like by tiptopapplesauce. Schmooley HAS to have one of these this year! She guarantees everything 100% and takes custom orders. I know Schmooley will be unique in this, as well as the oh-so important CUTE!
I'll be posting more of my finds soon, but in the meantime if you have great handmade or made the USA gifts and toys you'd like to share with me, either leave a comment or send an e-mail over to inspiredbyschmooley@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: