Monday, September 17, 2007

A little updating

Well it's been a busy weekend and already a busy week...and it's only Monday. Our ant situation is now finally under control. There were a few projects this weekend that needed to be tackled. First and foremost was a yard sale. We moved into this house over the summer and ever since the move I've been putting together a pile of unwanted/unneeded items for a yard sale. The pile started to take over the living room, and this was the second to last weekend Dathan will be around to supervise the kiddos, so I had a yard sale Saturday.



The day started off with a woman who showed up 45 minutes before the sale was scheduled to start. We had a huge thunderstorm and a power outage the night before so I didn't go to bed until the wee hours of the morning. That and the fact that I'm not used to waking up to an alarm clock made it extra hard to drag my butt out of bed the morning of the sale. Then this woman shows up and starts asking the price of everything since I hadn't tagged any items yet. I was half asleep and giving her prices way below what I was going to price things at anyway and she wanted to haggle. Sorry lady, but I don't do a darn thing in the morning until I've had at least one cup of coffee. She went on and on about how she needed to buy things cheap for an Air Force wife whose husband is only and E-3 and they have 10 kids and he's deployed, yadda yadda yadda. I'm familiar with how the pay system works since it was only a few years ago my soldier was an E-3. But there are resources out there for lower enlisted families in need of household items and sorry, but I'm not letting go of a 12 pc. Pfaltzgraff set for $1.00.



There were customers who were chatty and friendly, those who scowled and seemed to think I should be damned for not having any lawn tools for sale, those who didn't speak English, and those who spoke proper English so well they also tended to turn up their noses and made me wonder why they weren't off shopping at Macy's. But my most memorable customer of the day was an older gentleman. Dathan belonged to a book club when we got married and one month when he neglected to return the postcard of the month's featured books we received an unwanted copy of "101 Greatest Sexual Positions." I honestly never glanced at it, or put it on my bookshelf for that matter (not because I'm prude, but because that's not something I want my parents looking at and wondering about when they come to visit), so it was put out at the yard sale. Anyway, the older gentleman browsed through the book for quite some time before he turned to me and offered a dime for it. I was charging $1.00 for hardback books but quite honestly just wanted him and the book gone so I accepted his offer. He then began to peruse the baby section where I had several unopened bottles of baby lotion and powder. His final purchase included the book, "101 Greatest Sexual Positions", a two pack of baby powder, and a bottle of baby lotion. Oh did Dathan have his friends rolling on the floor with laughter at work today, while I'm still cringing from the memory. The best part was he was carrying his money in one of those purple velvet bags you get with Crown Royal, and he kept offering me a dime for everything he picked up. I figured he was just carrying around a bag of change, and I wanted him gone, so I kept agreeing. When it came time to cough up the cash he pulled a wad of bills out of that bag so thick I'm surprised they even fit in there. Talk about getting suckered.



Other then my yard sale/creepy weird people magnet event, we did some home improvements this weekend. My proceeds went towards a new console table and mirror for our entryway, and mums for the front porch. I also got a plastic garden fence that looks like wrought iron from a distance that was on sale at Lowe's for $3. I was super psyched since I've been looking for something like this to be part of my Halloween decor (I'm the crazy Halloween lady on my street and have been thinking about my theme for this year since June!) and I couldn't pass it up at $3. Xavier had such a wonderful time helping me transplant the mums into pots. Of course now that I bought plants it's getting chilly. I hope the first frost holds out for at least a few weeks. I'll post some pics tomorrow of our improvements.

No comments: